Thursday, August 28, 2008

Perhaps There Will be a New Day

I didn’t want the media telling me how I should feel, I didn’t want them explaining every nuance, I didn’t want them looking behind, above, below, dissecting every statement made by Obama as well as the other speakers, so I watched C-Span and it was great! You couldn’t help but feel the excitement; there was so much of it in the air, on the faces in the crowd. There was hope you could feel as it seemed to rise from the crowd. There were tears, but they were of joy and enthusiasm and excitement. And there were tears in my eyes as well and a smile on my lips.

I don’t know what comes next, I don’t know what will happen in the next few months, I don’t know what the end result will be, but I know that I have hope for the first time in a number of years. I’ll take that.

We have the opportunity to take back our country, to return to values that have been lost or shuffled out of sight. I hate to see the doubt and skepticism, that jaded outlook that says nothing can be this good and last, that it’s all just another show. But those negative views are out there as well as the hope and enthusiasm and I can’t do anything about that. What I do know is that they won’t influence or change or negate my belief that, YES, WE CAN!

3 comments:

lilalia said...

I just watched Obama's speech with my 13-year-old daughter. At one point, she turns to me and says, "He speaks as though he is speaking from his heart and not from a piece of paper. It's easy to believe him, isn't it?" And I looked at her with tears in my eyes, in part for the moving speech, but also because my daughter who has duel citizenship, neither of them American, thinks Obama is one of the Best Politicians she has ever heard. I'd have to agree with her.

Judy said...

I loved his speech! I did not watch afterwards to all the news people dissecting it. I just wanted to listen and form my own opinions. He is a great speaker. I love that he seems to have such a close relationship with his wife and children, too.

Margie's Musings said...

I watched as long as I could but was so exhausted that I finally went to bed. It was a great speech though and so down to earth. Just as I was going to sleep, my son called and talked an hour.

I watched it on PBS again. Those people really know how to cover the election.