Thursday, August 7, 2008

Late Night Musings

My favorite way to wind down a busy day – actually just about any day -- is to put on some of my favorite classical music, and the titles and composers vary depending on the mood, pour a glass of wine and play solitaire. The thing I frequently find myself wondering about is after all the many years I have listened to much of this music over and over again, why do I still find my eyes filling with tears? It’s not because I’m sad, it has nothing to do with feeling emotional about anything in particular or feeling anything at all for that matter, but it never fails to move me with its beauty, its passion, its joy! How incredible it would be to be able to write such music! Music that has the power to move people, to inspire them, to touch them – I’m certain I’m not the only one that has had this happen to them. And what a magnificent gift it is!

All I know as the evenings slip by and I sit here at my desk, dabbing my eyes with a wad of tissues, is that I may never be able to write music like Beethoven, Mahler, Prokofiev, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, but I can lose myself in it, I can be inspired by it, I can find joy in it – and I do.

1 comment:

patsy said...

i am a hill billy, we listen to country. the only classical i know is the tune played on the lone ranger. can remember the name for that.