Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Where Does All This "Stuff" Come From?

Several years ago when I was living in Portland, OR I heard about a poetry writing class that was being held near where I lived. Poetry wasn't anything I had tried to write before and I wasn't sure I had any talent whatsoever for writing it, but I decided it sounded interesting and signed up to attend. It was a six week class, we had an excellent teacher and I really enjoyed it -- don't know that I'm particularly talented as a poet, but it was fun. I hoped perhaps there would be a follow-up course.

Several weeks after the course was over I received a notice that there would be a life writing class and my former teacher urged me to give it a try. I did and made a good friend there. It was she that I visited recently in Portland. She was also the one who urged me to start a blog. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but after I got home and was cleaning some stuff off my computer, I ran across the lessons from both the poetry and the life writing classes. After reading them again a few days later, I decided they might be a good place to start with a blog.

Re-reading both the poetry and the life writing lessons made me take another look at not only the hurtful things that I had tried to forget over the years -- those things that have a way of haunting you no matter how hard you try to put them away, but a look the fun things as well. They brought some tears, some laughter, but above all, the realization of what a truly wonderful life I've had. Hurts? yes, of course, but successes as well and certainly not the least of those are my four children.

So, who knows where all this "stuff" comes from or why we hang on to it, try to bury it or sometimes even try to re-live it. The good and the bad all are part of who we are, so maybe at this stage of the game it's time to make peace with it, celebrate it, make the most of it, because that "stuff" is the what has made us, not only older, wiser but in a lot of cases, more fun, more free, more loving, more forgiving, more understanding.

2 comments:

Eve said...

I heard an author say once, that we all have a book in us. We just need to have the confidence to write it all down. After all, a good writer is one who can take you there, make you feel what the author is feeling, make you smile, and make you remember.

I loved the post you left on my blog. The tin tub did bring back memories and made me smile. You are already a good writer.

clairz said...

Sylvia, I just discovered your blog after you left a comment on mine. I feel like I've discovered a kindred soul!

I've subscribed to your blog via Bloglines, so I'll always know when you've added something.

Thank you for such wonderful writing.