Wednesday, July 30, 2008

And The Beat Goes On

Well at least the negative ones do. The latest hit on Obama, and it’s a repeat, is that he has become too arrogant and too confident. The Washington Post claims he told House Democrats yesterday that, “I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions.” But that was only half of what he said, The Post left out the important first half of the sentence, which was: “It has become increasingly clear in my travels, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol.” There is a considerable difference in the two statements. Again, the media chooses to dissect comments, using only what promotes their particular view.

What has happened to civility? Why is it that people, and most particularly politicians, seem to feel the only way to win or get their point across is to destroy the opponent with whatever means possible? When so many people depend on what they read in newspapers or see on television to help them determine who would be best fit to run the country, how can they be sure they know the whole truth? Or do they really care? Do they just read or listen to whatever will confirm their own reasons in voting for or against a candidate? How many people actually research what is put out as “gospel truth”? How many really care about the real truth?

We have so much to be thankful for in this country and, for the most part, I’m very proud of my country, but on days like these, when negativity discolors everything, I find it hard to remain positive or hopeful. And what does the negativity really get us? Does it insure that we’ll get “the best, most saintly, most honest, most reliable” candidate? Not necessarily. All I can say is, look past the hype, read, research, find out the truth for yourselves. Of course, that will take time and effort and who has time for that? Or who is willing to take the time for that? After all, it's only the future of our country that's at stake.

5 comments:

patsy said...

you are right.

Anonymous said...

I agree. We all need to listen and learn.
Good post.
Thanks for the visit.
Pam

Linda said...

Your blog looks nice. The header is appropriate for your blog title.

Good post today. I agree with everything you said.

Rain Trueax said...

excellent post and the media makes me sick right now no matter which one of them. Something is badly wrong with our system. I just wish more would do the research you did. They don't. They get the soundbite and don't care that it's not the truth. It worries me as it's how Bush won.

Judy said...

I get so tired of these campaign ads where they do nothing but down grade their opponent. It drives me crazy and they play them over and over and over until you want to throw something through the t.v. That is happening here right now on a senate race for this fall and they have already started. They play the same ad every fifteen minutes. Makes me not want to vote for either of them.