Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Toast to Paul Newman

I was and am a big fan of Paul Newman, who died this past week of cancer, not just because he was drop dead gorgeous and a great actor, but because he was first and foremost a great humanitarian. He raised huge sums of money for worthwhile causes with his Newman's Own dressings -- which I also love. He had a marvelous sense of humor and a great view of the world.

Maureen Dowd wrote a piece about him today in the New York Times. It's worth the read whether you were a fan or not.


http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/opinion/01dowd.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

7 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I too loved to see a Paul Newman movie and his wonderful philanthropies were unusual for a movie star at that time.

Sister--Helen said...

In general I do not think much about the benifit of the acting community....But I will miss him...I think he was a good man...Hard to find these days in Hollywood...Of Course he was not in 'Hollywood'

mako said...

Yes, he was drop dead gorgeous. He had beautiful blue eyes. I will miss him just like I missed James Dean and Steve McQueen I loved when I was really young.

robin andrea said...

There was a line in Dowd's piece that I copied and sent to my Senators today: “Everything is about what’s winnable, not about the morality of the issues,” he told me. In politics, as in racing cars, he said: “You can do anything if you are prepared to deal with the consequences.”

Judy said...

Paul Newman has always been one of my favorite actors. I loved his old movies as well as the ones he did later in life. I think he was a good man and will certianly be missed.

TropiGal said...

He will be missed. According to CBS Sunday Morning newsmagazine, the profits from his Newman's Own brand funneled $250 million to charity.

Pat R said...

it's hard not to admire Paul Newman for putting his money to work in such productive ways, such as his Newman's Own line--high quality stuff and the proceeds go to good causes... very smart.